Podcasts are the best. Bold, but true! Whether I’m cleaning, exercising, taking a bath or falling asleep, I always have on a podcast. There cover a wide variety of categories and offer different levels of production, so I really feel there is a podcast out there for everyone. Not to mention- they’re free! I personally download and listen to mine through the Apple Podcast app, but they are also available through Google Play, Soundcloud, Stitcher, etc. I don’t have a huge variety in podcasts that I personally listen to, but I’m checking out new ones all the time!
- My Favorite Murder with Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark– This podcast might not be for everyone, but if you’re a fan of comedy and true crime, this podcast is most definitely for you! I have always been fascinated by true crime, and these two have shown me I am not alone! This podcast is unique in that these ladies have a killer sense of humor (get it), so they manage to make a heavy subject fun to listen to, without diminishing the severity of the topic.
- Serial Killer and Cults with Greg and Vanessa– These podcasts are grouped together since they are hosted and produced by the same people. They do a deep dive into the psychological motivations and intricacies of serial killers and cults respectively. These podcasts utilize voice actors, creepy music, and excellent story-telling to keep you on the edge of your seat! Be careful listening to these at night.
- Serial with Sarah Koenig- This is hands down one of the most popular podcasts, and I would be shocked if you haven’t at least heard of it! Season One investigates the murder of a popular high school senior, Hae Minn Lee, and her ex-boyfriend who was convicted of her murder. Sarah Kanig and her team go back and try to evaluate the investigation, the jobs done by Baltimore police at the time, and most importantly, try to piece together what truly happened to Hae Minn Lee all those years ago.
- S-Town with Brian Reed- In S-Town, Brian Reed explains how he met a man named John, and his investigation into a local murder, and the dealings in “Shit-town” as a whole. There is quite an unexpected twist in this story, so I would recommend not poking around online too much, or you might stumble upon some spoilers!
- Stuff You Missed in History Class with Candace and Josh- I will admit I haven’t listened to too many episodes of this podcast, but I do enjoy the odd episode when they report on something that peaks my interest. They name of the podcast is quite literal, and they pick interesting topics and expand on them, often talking about aspects of history that I had never heard before, as they are not widely publicized.
- Jenna and Julien Podcast with Jenna and Julian- I have been a Jenna Marbles fan since I was in middle school! She is one of the O.G. youtube girls, and she is an incredible comedian. Her and her boyfriend have started a podcast and I love hearing them speak about different topics. They don’t take themselves too seriously, but I believe they are both quite intelligent, and this comes across when they speak.
Next on My List:
- Ted Talks– I have always loved watching Ted Talks on YouTube, but I am interested to see how they have adopted traditional Ted Talks, which sometimes heavily rely on a visual component, to the audio platform of podcasts. I can’t wait to learn!
- Dirty John with The L.A. Times– I haven’t listened to any episodes yet, so I’m not sure exactly what this one is about. But what I do know, is that everyone is buzzing about this new story! It also has great reviews on the app- 4.5 stars to be exact. People have compared the quality of this podcast to Serial, which is clearly one of my absolute faves, so I’m excited to hear this one.
Let me know what podcasts you’ve been listening to, I would love some new recommendations. If you listen to any of these, let me know how you like them down below in the comments. Thanks for reading!